Thursday, September 29, 2011

Blessing of the Animals

So my plans to head upstate this weekend and go apple picking may have to hit the back burner.

As it turns out, this Sunday is the annual festival service of the Blessing of the Animals at St. John the Divine (the giant cathedral on 110th st). I think Morelle cat could really use some blessing, since I'm sure her nine lives are close to being up. Or I might just do her in myself if she gets her paw stuck under the fridge again...

Here's what the website says about it: Visitors can expect to see a great variety of animals process up the nave, including a yak, a tortoise, baby swans, and a macaw. Directly after the service, Cathedral Clergy will be available for blessings at the Fair on the Close. The Fair’s themes – celebration of Creation, compassion, and faithful stewardship of the Earth– align with the vision and work of this beloved Saint.

The service starts at 11:00 am and the Fair is at 1:00. I don't know if we can go to the service since there are no more advanced passes left, but the fair sounds like an adventure I don't think this household can miss!








I found the picture on http://harlembespoke.blogspot.com/2011/09/see-blessing-of-animals-at-st-john.html from a past blessing. I really want to see some crazy animals! Where do you keep a camel in this city?!




No comments:

Post a Comment